Pumpkin Decorating Contest
A Pumpkin Decorating Contest allows your students to express their creativity, while raising needed funds for your organization. In addition, you may decorate the lobby of your school with the winning entries.
Many schools will have winners from each grade, in addition to the Grand Prize Winner. The contest may be judged by the Art Instructor and other teachers, or used as a fund raiser, where individual student votes cost twenty five cents.
Here are some simple pumpkin decorating contest rules:
a) The main part of each entry must be a pumpkin or a member of the pumpkin family.
b) Pumpkins may not be carved or hollowed out.
c) Pumpkins may not be larger than 2 foot round.
d) Objects, paper and materials of any kind may be pinned or glued to pumpkins. Participants may also draw or paint on their entries, cut designs into their surfaces or dress them up.
e) No electrical device may be used as part of any entry.
f) Only one entry per student.
g) Each entry must have a title.
h) All participants must be students of the school/organization at the time of the contest.
The entries should be judged on Originality, Creativity, and Quality.
Some decorating tips
• Select a pumpkin that is flat on the bottom, so that it will sit up in the correct position.
• It’s best to choose a pumpkin that is not bruised or damaged.
• Integrate the natural flaws in your pumpkin in the design.
• Use acrylic paint if you wish to paint your pumpkin.
• Use a glue gun and straight pins to attach decorations to your pumpkin.